Trainee Success Coordinator for DEI
Job Opening ID: 185356
Work Location: Ann Arbor Campus
Ann Arbor, MI
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Organizational Group: Medical School
Department: Ofc of Grad and Postdoc Studie
Posting Begin/End Date: 3/26/2020 4/09/2020
Salary: $43,000.00 $53,000.00
Paid Time Off:
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Who We Are
We are the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (OGPS) at the University of Michigan & Michigan Medicine. Our research enterprise at UM has remarkable breadth, depth, and innovation, attracting students and postdoctoral fellows from around the world for their research training. OGPS is an information hub for our outstanding and diverse young scholars, and a resource for all of our trainees, faculty, and staff. We aim to provide a foundation and a community for trainees to explore the next step of their career in the biomedical sciences. To this end, our team develops programs and pathways for students and postdocs to grow intellectually, personally, and professionally on their scientific journey. Go Blue!
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world's most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
In collaboration with the PIBS Director, the Postbac Directors, the Postdoctoral Coordinator, and Student Affairs Manager develop and implement processes to fulfill the needs for DEI workshops/events/programming, student success & related curricular affairs, and other trainee resources as needed. Responsible for the integration of DEI initiatives into all OGPS workshops, events, and orientation processes.
- Information specialist for PIBS, PREP, and MEDPREP students. Must develop in-depth knowledge of all OGPS programs and resources.
- Providing logistical assistance for onboarding and orientation activities.
- Tracking compliance of student (PIBS, PREP, MEDPREP) flu vaccinations, lab safety training, and other required trainings.
- Coordinating annual OGPS student awards process.
- Fostering relationships with OGPS-affiliated student groups. Act as liaison and mentor to SACNAS, AMS, and the DEI Task Force. Work with student organizations to highlight and share outreach/events.
- Writing & reviewing progress reports to Michigan Medicine Office of Health, Equity, and Inclusion (OHEI).
- Developing content for DEI-related communications to be featured on the OGPS website. Scheduling, interviewing, and writing DEI Spotlights featuring students, staff, and faculty.
- Curricular affairs administration, including Research Rotations (PIBS600) and Surviving and Succeeding in Graduate School (PIBS800), and others as needed.
- Coordinate efforts that promote community and introduce co-curricular opportunities to foster a climate of equity and inclusion.
- Participate in the planning to establish academic needs/programs with the Program Directors and Student Affairs Manager. Providing input, suggestions, and ideas to meet the needs of the trainee community.
- Maintain canvas course sites as needed, tracking attendance, rotation paperwork, and final evaluations.
- Planning and logistics of invited speakers & special guests, course set up and tear down, and materials/hosting supplies as needed
- Engaging OGPS stakeholders to build and facilitate trainee relationships to identify opportunities for change and growth in our community. Help identify best practices to promote trainee success.
- Working with OGPS teams to assess and respond to campus climate matters.
- Actively assist with advocating and promoting the success and wellness of trainees in the community.
- Co-facilitate DEI bimonthly OGPS meetings.
- Liaising OGPS related graduate programs to find synergies (ideas, effort, resources) that enhance equity and inclusion at the Medical School.
- Actively review and evaluate student group funding requests approval process adhering to established guidelines and budget limitations.
- Planning and organization of the student group leadership retreat.
- Provide assistance to the Recruiting Coordinator to represent the Medical School at select Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) and URM-centered conferences.
- Acting as the representative for PREP at the annual ABRCMS conference. Recruit prospective students to the PREP program. Advise current PREP students on how to identify schools and programs to visit during the conference. Provide travel arrangement assistance to the current PREP scholars as needed.
- Planning and execution of annual OGPS events.
- A Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- One to three years of relevant work experience in an administrative or student services capacity.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively network, build relationships and collaborate with various internal and external stakeholders.
- Commitment and demonstrated success discussing, integrating, and promoting diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to exercise initiative, independent judgment, tact and diplomacy to resolve problems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including a positive, responsive customer service attitude and the demonstrated ability to work cooperatively in a team-oriented work environment.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with a large and diverse group of prospective and enrolled students, postdocs, faculty and staff in various offices across the University and with the general public.
- Ability to organize and coordinate multiple and diverse tasks with excellent attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy, and to meet deadlines in a timely manner amid a variety of distractions and occasional stress.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software suite (including Word, Excel, Access and Power Point).
A working knowledge of University and Rackham policies, procedures, and practices related to student affairs is desirable.
Monday through Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm with opportunity for some flexibility if needed
This position will act as the Trainee Success Coordinator for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion within the Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies (OGPS) encompassing the Program in Biomedical Sciences (PIBS), Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP), the Postbac Premedical Program (MEDPREP), and Postdoctoral Research Fellows at the University of Michigan Medical School. Responsible for the overall functional operations for trainee affairs including DEI, curricular affairs, success, and resources.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
To apply, visit https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/185356/trainee_success_coordinator_for_dei
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency