Senior University Budget Financial Analyst
About Eastern Washington University:
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney and Spokane, Washington, with programs offered throughout the state and online with an enrollment of over 12,000 students. Eastern is one of six state-funded four-year institutions of higher education in Washington reporting to its own Board of Trustees.
Easterns 300-acre main campus is located in Cheney, a community of 11,000 residents 16 miles southwest of the states second largest city, Spokane. Eastern also offers programs in downtown Spokane at the Brand new Catalyst building and on the Riverpoint Campus which is shared with Washington State University. Eastern also offers program throughout the state based on the needs of the community. Eastern offers an array of bachelors and masters degrees and one applied doctorate in physical therapy. EWU offers 135 fields of study, 9 masters degrees, 12 graduate certificates, 39 graduate programs, 1 educational specialist degree, and 1 applied doctorate to more than 10,000 enrolled students.
- Eastern Washington University is currently seeking a Senior University Budget Financial Analyst in Budget Services. The Senior University Budget Financial Analyst is responsible for a broad and deep range of financial activities supporting the centralized fiscal and business management functions. The position also develops research, reporting, and analytics; controls the program operations; directs daily audit activities; provides fiscal and administrative oversight of University budget requests; controls and oversees the department's records management; and is the centralized point of contact for College and Department Budget staff. This position performs as the central planning point of contact for university business units for budget research, reporting, and analytics, as well as University personnel and resource allocation management. The position has a substantial fiscal responsibility to prepare, perform, and analyze fiscal and narrative reports for university budgets, allotments, and legislative requests.
- On top of salary, the University offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, life and disability insurance and retirement. In addition, EWU offers generous vacation and sick leave accruals, 11 paid holidays per year and fringe benefits, such as tuition waiver for employees, discounted EWU sports tickets and free transportation through STA buses.
- Bachelors degree in business, public administration, accounting, economic, statistics or closely related field.
- Minimum two years of professional experience in budgets, management, payroll, program analysis or legislative.
- Experience presenting information and ideas clearly and effectively in writing, verbally, and graphically.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook)
- Proficiency in Excel for extensive financial analysis.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Highly organized individual with attention to detail.
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility, and/or diversity.
- Masters degree in one of the following: economics, statistics, finance, accounting, public administration, or business administration.
- Experience with data visualization and/or data analytics software.
- Demonstrate and foster a culture of ethical leadership, a commitment to diversity, and encourage a supportive team-oriented work environment.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Experience with Ellucian Banner HR/Payroll module or similar ERP system.
Other Skills and Abilities:
% of Time: 50
Responsibility / Duty: Data Management and Analysis
Research data sources, mine data, apply business rules, and independently manipulate data from various public and non-public sources into appropriate aggregation and presentation format for various projects.
Maintain the University Fee Database and related programming, including forms management and document archival, and annual review of fiscal growth factor and other appropriate increases.
Provide, as necessary, data to requests from internal and external clients.
Distribute requests for information and collaborate with various business units to review and aggregate response information, respond to requests for information, and archive University data.
Support financial planning research projects of the University via data gathering, literature reviews, peer reviews, and statistical analysis.
Meet and correspond with internal and external parties, as needed.
Confer on a daily basis with Business & Finance leadership about status of various requests.
Essential Function Indicator: Yes
% of Time: 35
Responsibility / Duty: Financial and Budgetary Oversight
Develop, manage, oversee, analyze, monitor and reconcile all unit/departmental University-wide budgets, including direct interaction and decision making with unit budget personnel and directors.
Maintain and manage the centralized resources.
Provide guidance to units/departments in developing, implementing and monitoring internal and external biennial budget requests. Provide departmental financial or budget managers specific fiscal direction to achieve operational sustainability, accountability, and university goals.
Collaborate with unit budget personnel and directors to identify budget adjustments, and communicate budget impacts determining the best solution.
Recommends solutions and/or raises budgetary concerns for discussion at Business & Finance and organization manager monthly meetings.
Disseminate information and implement changes related to policies and procedures, and provide budget impact information to organizations/department/programs.
Perform cost analysis, statistical analysis, and budget forecasts for university revenue and expenses, and recommend, justify, document, and implement adjustments.
Communicates university decisions relating to budget and fiscal matters, as appropriate.
Assists university financial officers with questions regarding budget availability, encumbrances, commitments, and internal or external funding requests.
Direct, control, implement, maintain, examine and reconcile standard fiscal processes, including but not limited to, bi-monthly budget encumbrance management, annual Original Budget, and monthly Comprehensive Budget Level processes. Create and deliver reports and disseminate information to unit budget personnel on budget availability, encumbrances, commitments and internal and external funding requests. Recommend solutions and/or budgetary concerns for discussion at meeting with departmental budget personnel.
Review, calculate and analyze the university fiscal impact on various scenarios of compensation increases and legislative requests. Communicate the fiscal impact to the labor relation team throughout contract negotiations. Communicate results of legislative requests to the legislative analysts and the Office of Financial Management.
Establish, monitor, and maintain university operational and capital budget procedures. Assist in the preparation and final review of the state capital budget request. Conduct research and analysis on proposed legislation and the fiscal impact to the university, and prepare and/or review fiscal notes.
Assist in researching, drafting, and preparation of the biennial request document, annual budget documents and other fiscal, budgetary, and planning procedures used at the university.
Prepare and present revenue and/or expenditure forecasts based on projections for management, departments and other university units or departments. Research and analyze program results, trends of historical and prospective financial information. Monitor the capital budget on a continual basis throughout the year. Accept other duties as assigned.
Create reports of historical and current data on student credit hour, full-time equivalent and headcount enrollment and declared major to provide required enrollment reporting to the Office of Financial Management. Analyze and provide fiscal information to improve the establishment of budget information.
Essential Function Indicator: Yes
% of Time: 15
Responsibility / Duty: Personnel
Monitor, oversee, collaborate and train lower level budget analysts and/or university budget personnel on fiscal management, budget monitoring processes, available tools (including Banner and use of budget reports), and possible solutions. Administer personnel practices and procedures and provide counsel and recommendations for improvement.
Work with the university organizations to ensure adequate funds are available to sustain hire of new/replacement personnel.
Review personnel action forms and budget allocation request forms for fiscal compliance, then process and approve or communicate as required to compensate all college faculty, exempt, graduate service, and classified personnel.
Train student employees and employees within Budget Services, as needed.
Serve as backup personnel for supervision of student employees and employees within Budget Services, managing resource allocation of Budget Services indexes, and other duties as assigned.
Essential Function Indicator: Yes
Conditions of Employment:
- This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
- All new employees must comply with EWU immunization Policy 602-02 and provide proof of immunity or vaccination to MMR and proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before beginning work at EWU. Waivers for the immunization requirements are available for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs.
Posting Date: 07/27/2021
Open Until Further Notice: No
Closing Date: 9/30/2021
Screening to Begin: 08/11/2021
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Submit your application materials through our online applications portal provided below. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resources Services at (509) 359-2381.
To apply, visit https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu/postings/7319
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency