Child Development Center Teaching Assistant
Posting #: 19-008
Campus: De Anza College
Close/Initial Review Date:
Starting Salary: $17.71 per hour; Salary Grade: C2-30
Full Salary Range: $17.71 - $23.37 per hour
Initial Review Date: 09/11/19*
*Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the part-time classified-hourly position above.
De Anza College Mission Statement:
De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities; to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities, the nation and the world.
De Anza College fulfills its mission by engaging students in creative work that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attitudes contained within the college's Institutional Core Competencies:
- Communication and expression
- Information literacy
- Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility
- Civic capacity for global, cultural, social and environmental awareness
- Critical thinking
This position supports teachers while providing early care and education and provide supervision to children to ensure their health and safety at the program.
Position reports to the Assistant Director, Child Development Center at De Anza College. A 12-month assignment, Monday through Friday, three (3) hours each day, not to exceed sixteen (16) hours per week.
- Assist in the care, development, and instruction of children.
- Provide small group, or individual, instructional assistance for children.
- Provide assistance in content support, learning strategies, and organization.
- Assist in providing developmentally appropriate educational activities for children.
- Maintain cooperative, effective working relationships in a team setting.
- Apply policies, procedures, rules, and regulations appropriately.
- Help teachers with curriculum development and implementation.
- Maintain progress, attendance and meal records.
- Meet schedules and timelines.
- Attend meetings as appropriate.
- Best practices in the field of Child Development.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Demonstrate commitment to the increased understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for all cultural groups, women, and the disabled.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Operate a computer and assigned office equipment.
- Plan and organize work.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- A Child Development Assistant Permit - To qualify for the Child Development Assistant Permit, individuals must satisfy all of the requirements listed in one of the following options:
Option 1: Complete six (6) semester units of early childhood education or child development course work AND have a School-Age Emphasis under this option requires that three (3) of the six (6) semester units in early childhood education/child development be completed in school-age course work OR
Option 2: Complete an approved Home Economics and Related Occupations (HERO) or Regional Occupation Program (ROP) in Child Development Related Occupations.
- Twelve (12) units in Early Childhood Development including core courses, child/human growth and development, child/family community, or child and family relations; and programs curriculum.
- Bilingual in Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Hebrew or Spanish.
- Experience with and commitment to working in a diverse teaching team while assisting culturally inclusive teaching practices as well as participating in dialogues on equity in education.
- Experience in assisting culturally sensitive parent engagement.
- Experience with assisting inclusive teaching and learning environment.
- Classroom environment.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information and make presentations.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
- Seeing to read a variety of materials.
- A District on-line application on http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/. *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- A cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application. Items not required (including reference letters) will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our Applicant Information to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Position: Part-Time, Permanent, 12-months per year
Starting Date: As soon as possible upon completion of the search process.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement. The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S. All interviewing costs incurred by applicant are the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022