Benefits Representative (EXTENDED)
Under supervision from the Director of Insurance and Employee Benefits and/or designee, the employee provides assistance with benefits data management and operations necessary for benefit administration for all eligible NIU employees. Using the PeopleSoft integrated Human Resource Information System (HRIS) and following university policies and procedures, this position is responsible for ensuring that NIU employees' insurance elections/changes are correctly processed in a timely manner. This also requires consistent data entry in the Central Management Services (CMS) Membership System. This position provides assistance to the Benefit Counselors and Leave Coordinators/Benefit Officers as well as other areas of Human Resources Services (HRS) for proper administration and processing of employee benefits. This position's emphasis is to provide customer service by exercising sound judgment, as well as, by providing the support and coordination required for the successful functional operation of university benefit programs. The employee is expected to perform work with high quality, meet deadlines, and report progress in a timely manner. Compliance with all applicable laws, such as HIPAA, and maintaining the confidentiality of sensitive employee benefits information is required of the incumbent.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director of Insurance and Employee Benefits and/or designee will be responsible for assignment and priority of projects. The following are additional responsibilities required for the position:
Knowledge of State benefits programs.
Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
Knowledge of Benefits, Payroll, and Personnel regulations as they relate to the PeopleSoft HRIS system.
Knowledge of PeopleSoft and CMS data entry and processing procedures.
Knowledge of insurance and employment laws, such as HIPAA and COBRA, as well as, applicable IRS regulations.
Knowledge of State and Federal laws as it relates to FMLA and Workers Compensation.
Facilitation of communication between Insurance and Employee Benefits and other Human Resource Services departments to promote accurate and timely benefits administration.
Provide strong customer service to all NIU employees with inquiries or issues related to benefits.
Maintain confidentiality related to private and personal benefit information.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
1. Any one or any combination that equals 18 months from the categories below:
(a) credit for college training leading to a major or concentration in Insurance/benefits administration, human resource management, or closely related fields such as business administration
60 semester hours or higher equals 18 months
(b) credit for college training leading to a major or concentration in fields other than those previously listed
60 semester hours equals 12 months
90 semester hours or higher equals 18 months
credit acquired towards a Certified Employees Benefits Specialist Certificate or a Chartered Life Underwriter Certificate (Each course in the CEBS and CLU programs is equivalent to three semester hours of college course work.)
(d) responsible clerical or paraprofessional work experience in benefits and/or insurance benefits such as may be gained in a benefits, insurance, retirement, health care, or human resources office.
Education and Experience Preferred:
Working Hours: M-F 8:00 - 4:30
Posting Date: 06/01/2021
Closing Date: 6/15/2021
Priority Review Date:
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION. At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE: If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as drivers license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veterans Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on Benefits Representative for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois Universitys benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
To apply, visit https://employment.niu.edu/postings/57235
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency