Assistant Professor, Aging & Engineering
The Shady Rest Institute on Positive Aging and the College of Engineering at Florida Gulf Coast University seek a candidate for an Assistant Professor position starting in Fall 2023. We seek a trained researcher whose background includes the engineering aspects in aging, particularly those related to the infusion of hardware and software solutions, in the wellbeing and optimal functioning of older adults. Teaching responsibilities will include undergraduate and graduate courses in engineering and computing as well as other academic disciplines as appropriate. We are seeking candidates with a strong research program, demonstrated excellence in teaching, a potential for extramural funding, and an ability to work collegially and cooperatively with faculty in other disciplines at FGCU.
The candidate selected for this position will teach at both undergraduate and graduate levels, as applicable be involved in course and/or curriculum development conduct research/scholarship participate on College and University committees and/or initiatives and perform other duties as assigned. The candidate is expected to contribute to the growth of the newly founded Shady Rest Institute on Positive Aging through teaching, scholarship, and community service.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to: be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs be committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning be committed to effective use of technology including distance learning produce peer reviewed scholarship and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Plans and teaches courses in assigned content area.
- Prepares syllabi, instruction materials, coordinates lectures, tests, and evaluates.
- Maintains highest possible standards of classroom instruction.
- Keeps abreast of new information and developments in field of instruction.
- Actively serves on university committees.
- Actively participates in institutional meetings.
- Maintains professional skills through regular professional development, and other activities appropriate to higher education faculty.
- Assists with the development of curriculum.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Additional Job Description
- Ph.D. in Bioengineering, computer science, software engineering or related area from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation.
- Must meet the University and College criteria for the appointment to the level of Assistant Professor.
- ABD will be considered if degree is conferred by August 7, 2023. If successful candidate is ABD, appointment will be made at a Lecturer level on a fixed contract.
- Interdisciplinary teaching and research perspective with well-defined research goals.
- Willingness to engage in service opportunities commensurate with career maturity.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience with and commitment to the use of instructional technology, a willingness to cultivate an interdisciplinary perspective; and a demonstrated commitment to professional development.
- Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance learning & university teaching.
- Interest in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning.
- Must value continued scholarship and service to the school and university.
- Ability to contribute effectively and collegially to a positive, dynamic, and inclusive learning environment for a diverse student population.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made on a 12-month multi-year appointment basis available August 2023.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida's Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore, all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida's Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials:
The position is listed as "open until filled", however applications received by December 16, 2022 will receive priority consideration.
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
To apply, visit https://fgcu.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/eaglejobs/job/Main-Campus/Assistant-Professor--Aging---Engineering_R0003375
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency