This ad is expired.
Clinical Pharmacist Generalist-Cardiovascular Surgery
Job Opening ID: 173012
Work Location: Michigan Medicine - Health Sys
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Organizational Group: Um Hospital
Department: UMH CVC Pharmacy Services
Posting Begin/End Date: 8/16/2019 9/13/2019
Paid Time Off: Yes
Career Interest: Patient Care Services
How to Apply
Applicants will only be considered after successful completion and submission of the following:
- Completed application via the UM Careers website
- Letter of Intent
- Updated curriculum vitae
Join the Pharmacy team at the Michigan Medicine! The vision of Michigan Medicine is to create the future of health care through discovery and to become the national leader in health care, health care reform, biomedical innovation and education. As part of this world-class organization, the Department of Pharmacy Services has high standards for service, education, and research. Our Department has a rich history of excellence; you have the opportunity to join a world-class team to provide exceptional patient care and advance the Mission of Michigan Medicine. Work to assist in the development, implementation and monitoring of clinical services for cardiovascular and other surgery services; to ensure and promote the safe, rational, efficacious and cost-effective use of drug therapy in patients under the care of our cardiovascular and surgical services; to provide leadership for clinical services including developing guidelines and policies, developing quality improvement processes, and to assist in the clinical training of staff, residents and students.
Generous Benefits Package
- Health insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement plan
- Opportunities to earn continuing education credits at in-house education programs
For more information about the UMHS Department of Pharmacy Services, see our annual report at: https://www.medicine.umich.edu/dept/pharmacy/pharmacy-annual-report
Clinical pharmacy services are provided throughout the University of Michigan Health System to a diverse array of patients and include clinical pharmacy programs that complement our drug distribution system. Pharmacy Services have been organized to follow a service-line approach in order to better align pharmacy resources and provide the best health care outcomes for patients, which allows pharmacists to participate in teams that coincide with the manner in which care is provided. Clinical pharmacy services offered and required of this position include pharmacist order review and verification, code blue response, pharmacokinetic monitoring and dosing for specific drugs, anticoagulation therapy monitoring and patient education, real-time bacteremia review, parenteral nutrition monitoring, and comprehensive profile review. In addition, pharmacists provide leadership to ensure that the organization achieves core quality performance metrics related to medication management.
Pharmacist Generalists on the Cardiovascular/Surgery Team are expected to cover 2-4 surgical service teams and attend daily rounds, review and verify medication orders, provide dosage adjustments per pharmacy policies for anticoagulation, pharmacokinetic antimicrobials, parenteral nutrition, conduct daily profile reviews, and serve as preceptor for University of Michigan College of Pharmacy IPPE and APPE students.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
After successful orientation and training, the pharmacist generalist will rotate through a variety of roles and locations spending approximately half the time as a service based, clinical pharmacist and half the time in a medication distribution role. We offer pharmacy services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, it is expected that this position will include a mixture of morning and evening shifts.
- Service Based, Team Pharmacist: Activities include interdisciplinary rounding, comprehensive profile reviews, pharmacokinetic monitoring and dosing, anticoagulation therapy monitoring, discharge counseling, real-time bacteremia review, parenteral nutrition monitoring and nurse/prescriber education.
- University Hospital 6th Floor Pharmacy Satellite: The first site of new generalist distribution staffing with operational and clinical activities that include order verification, code response, clinical inquiry response, product verification, medication distribution oversight, technician management, Omnicell management, and inventory control.
- Other Pharmacy Satellites (Emergency Department, OR, Clean Room, Cardiovascular Center): Activities include central order verification, medication question triage, product verification, investigational drug management, controlled substances management, and functional supervision of technical staff working in their area including completion of job assignments and assuring adherence to institutional policies and procedures.
Pharmacists serve as preceptors for University of Michigan Pharm.D. students including Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences (IPPEs) and Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPEs).
Develop and implement quality improvement and process improvements to improve patient care and pharmacy services
- Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from an accredited College of Pharmacy or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Current licensure as a registered pharmacist by the State of Michigan Board of Pharmacy and a Michigan Controlled Substance License to practice pharmacy in the State of Michigan, or eligibility to become licensed within 60 days of employment start date
- Able to perform all of the Duties and Responsibilities
- Able to prioritize with accuracy and dependability
- Demonstrate and apply excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Effectively communicate with pharmacy team members, other healthcare professionals, employees, patients and visitors
- Accurately and efficiently interpret and process medication orders, labels, and documentation
- Other: Ability to perform a variety of manual dexterity movements, including keyboarding and active participation in codes (e.g. sterile product preparation). Demonstrates effective use of computers and applications (e.g. MS Word, Excel, Outlook). Fluency in reading, writing and speaking English.
- Ability to meet all of the above qualifications and requirements with or without reasonable accommodation
- Completion of an ASHP accredited PGY1 residency and/or BCPS certification.
- Recent inpatient clinical hospital practice experience including participation in multi-disciplinary rounds, direct patient care and education, and product verification with a range of medications and patient populations similar to those at Michigan Medicine.
- Active membership in professional organizations.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
To apply, visit http://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/173012/clinical_pharmacist_generalist-cardiovascular_surgery
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency