Head, Music Library
Job Opening ID: 184609
Work Location: Ann Arbor Campus
Ann Arbor, MI
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Organizational Group: Univ Library
Department: Library Research-Arts &Humanit
Posting Begin/End Date: 2/24/2020 4/08/2020
Salary: $70,000.00 $75,000.00
Paid Time Off:
Career Interest: Libraries & Museums
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan Library is one of the world's largest academic research libraries and serves a vibrant university community that is home to 19 schools and colleges, 100 top ten graduate programs, and annual research expenditures exceeding $1.5 billion a year. To enable the university's world-changing work and to serve the public good, the library collects, preserves, and shares the scholarly and cultural record in all existing and emerging forms, and leads the reinvention of the academic research library in the digital age.
The Music Library supports the teaching, research, and creative activities of the School of Music, Theatre and Dance, interdisciplinary collaborations within the University of Michigan community, and general service to the public. As the the Head of the Music Library, you will provide leadership and set priorities for the full range of Music Library collections, services, and other activities. You will manage one librarian and collaborate with Music Library staff to facilitate high-quality services and access to resources. You will develop collections in music, including selection, management, and assessment. You will build relationships within the School of Music, Theatre & Dance; and engage within the School and beyond to support the research, instructional, and creative enterprises of campus. You will report to the Head of Arts and Humanities in the University Library.
The Library is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and encourages all employees to fully incorporate their diverse backgrounds, skills, and life experiences into their work. The Library's Diversity Strategic Plan is at https://www.lib.umich.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion-accessibility/diversity-strategic-plan.
- Establish priorities and provide oversight for the collections, user services, and other activities of the Music Library.
- Engage with administration, faculty, and students of the School of Music, Theatre & Dance to align the Library's collections and services to the needs of the community.
- Develop, manage and assess collections in music and other assigned collection areas.
- Provide regular outreach to faculty and students in assigned areas to promote collections, services, and events.
- Develop new and enhanced services to better support the research, teaching, and creative practice of the community.
- Provide specialized reference, research consultations, and instruction to students and faculty in relevant subject areas.
- Participate in research, teaching, and service activities such as membership in professional and scholarly organizations, and attendance at conferences and annual meetings.
- ALA-accredited master's degree or an advanced degree in music.
- Three or more years of relevant experience in a library environment.
- Demonstrated success in developing innovative and impactful services and programs to meet user needs and engage the academic community.
- Knowledge of the scholarly landscape and the resources supporting musical performance and research.
- Understanding of diversity and the importance of inclusion; plus a commitment to apply and incorporate the differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization.
- Experience selecting and managing collections of musical materials.
- Experience supervising the work of others.
- Experience leading projects.
- Working knowledge of one of more non-English languages.
Benefits, rank, salary
Appointment is anticipated at the Associate Librarian or Senior Associate Librarian rank. Salary and rank are dependent on the candidate's qualifications and experience. Librarian appointments carry with them increased expectations regarding professional development, professional engagement, research, and service, in keeping with the library's process for librarian promotion and advancement.
The target salary range for this position is $64,000 - $69,000 for the Associate Librarian rank and $70,000 - $75,000 for the Senior Associate Rank. The actual salary offered may vary based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package including generous time off (24 vacation days per year, and 15 sick leave a year), matched retirement contributions with immediate vesting, professional development opportunities and more. TIAA and Fidelity Investments' retirement options available.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
To apply, visit https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/184609/head_music_library
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency