Director of Conferences
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanitys urgent challenges.
The Director of Conferences administers management and oversight for sales & operations of the Conference Services department and its staff that directly provide logistical support, planning, coordination and execution for on and off campus educational, cultural, youth, religious, corporate and programmatic conferences and events. Responsible for fostering solid relations with internal and external partners in an effort to strategically recruit clients to the University; with the goal for assuring these solid partnerships and programs are cohesive to the mission of the University. Responsibility to include fiscal oversight of the department's operating budget thereby providing financial growth for the University. Supervision received from the Director of Hospitality Services. General supervision of the Director of Sport camps (summer position), Operations Manager, and administrative support staff; immediate supervision of University students working as area managers, conference/camp managers, and project coordinators.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
Operational and Organizational
1. Bachelors degree, preferably in Hospitality Management, Communication or in the meeting industry related field.
2. Minimum of (5) five years demonstrated experience in a combination of marketing/managerial experience, in the hospitality/customer services field area, or a combination of education and upper managerial level experience where these skills have been acquired.
1. Certified Meeting Professional (CMP)
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to interact with a wide variety of constituencies with tact and diplomacy.
2. Experience coordinating conferences/events with over 1,500 participants.
3. A demonstrated understanding of the recreation, tourism, hotel, and resort management industries.
4. Possess a commitment to quality, client-oriented service.
5. Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; strong conflict resolution skills.
6. Excellent public relations skills.
7. Strong analytical, reasoning and self-motivational skills; ability to instill these skills in those supervised.
8. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to manage multiple responsibilities with constantly changing deadlines and requirements.
9. Ability to plan and executive effective training programs.
10. Thorough knowledge of accounting principles.
11. Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools - Personal computer, Microsoft Office, Event Master (CBORD), CP (Seattle Technology), general office equipment.
Special Conditions of Employment:
Must be able to travel for extended periods of time to evaluate other programs/venues and attending sales show to recruit future client for the university. No vacation may be taken May through August due to peak seasonal responsibilities.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume and cover letter to your application profile for the hiring managers review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
To apply, visit https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/493632/director-of-conferences
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency